02 February 2006

Gong Xi Fa Cai 2006

Well I've finally made it back home after an absence of 5 years (I think) to welcome in the year of the Dog. It seems strange to be surrounded by family I would say a little over whelming at times especially with the extended family. The weather and my toothache isnt helping matters. In addition, I think my taste buds have now changed as well..... Thought I'll log a food diary as to what I've been eating and what I've been up to, just so I remember

Touch down last Thurs and had breakfast - dad went to the coffee shop aka kopitiam and got fishball mee pok, fried beehoon with otak and putu mayam. Lunch - met ET for a buffet at Taka and did we have a spread!!! There were sashimi salmon, huge oysters, prawns, and lots of other stuff. BL & EC just sat and watched us eat. For dinner, the folks took us to East Coast where I had real satay, mee rebus, another round of mee pok fish ball and tahu goreng. Oh and not forgetting sugar cane juice! :)

Friday - breakfast at the coffee shop with the Reubens.... had a spread there as well - Yong Tau Foo, Chee Cheong Fun, Soon Kueh. Lunch met BL at Tangs and had laksa, tau pok and tau suan.... ( I was warned not to eat too much coz of wat we were going to have for dinner). Well, come dinner we went to a buffet spread at Straits Kitchen at the Hyatt Hotel and had the most amazing spread of food.... go check out twelve baskets blog and see a fraction of what we ate!!! That memory would remain in me for a long time! To top things off, went with EC and BL to have dinosaur.... but i couldnt have much as the tooth was hurting and I was being a grump

Saturday - had Nasi Padang, a discovery by dad. It was pretty good. And dinner, being CNY eve, we had our usual steamboat with special guests the Reubens and then we went to the Savannah and had another dinner with the extended family... it felt strange to be back and somehow, I felt more welcomed there by outsiders who were more sincere in hugging and saying that it was good to see me... there we had buah keluak, hee peow soup just to name a few. I was reminded of the traditions that we had to do and it really made me appreciate my roots. That evening, dad and EC took the Reubens to the airport whist mum and I had to clean the house b4 midnite (and note... I do not miss this cleaning up bit - I think dad goes a little overboard with this every year)

Sunday - being CNY day 1, we were at Savannah and had lunch there - it was pretty much leftovers from the eve dinner. The rellies that came visiting to Savannah were alot and half the time I wasnt too sure who was who. We went to visit an aunt and had her very famous curry puffs.... they are the absolute best!!! We went to visit my grandparents niche and I have to admit, i nearly cried there seeing my granny plaque for the first time since her death over 2 years ago. Dinner we were at my gran's and wat a spread she made... her hee peow soup, chap chye were my favourites!!! On a seperate note, someone called KM abt Toby and asked if there was a reward and KM said she's not sure as Toby isnt hers and that dumb arse hung up on KM!!! Now i'm really upset that I wont see Toby ever again!

Monday - late afternoon tea was a bbq at gran's place - and met up with grand pa's siblings.... he's got 12... and dinner was at my uncles place - kind of boring food not worth mentioning. met up with the girls for supper and we went to have supper with satay, mee hoon goreng, roti john, and pratas. got home and slept at 4am.

Tuesday - had laksa at katong, and then dinner was oyster omlette, fried prawn noodles, carrot cake and then dinner part 2 was bak kut teh. All this eaten with BL and the girls... it's great to be back and glutting with them. That's like one of the aspects I definitely miss while I'm away.

Wednesday - for dinner I FINALLY got my crabs!!! oh man it was soooooo good....

We're off to JB tomorrow and then on Friday my aunt's making popiah - a special request by me! :) and on Saturday the family and friends are here for dinner and so far, we've got quite a good spread so keep a look out as to what we'll be having.

I am not looking forward to going back to work on Monday as I know they're going to treat me bad.

No comments: