05 September 2006

Sting Ray vs Steve Irwin

The news since 11am yesterday, one of Australia's more prominent conservationalist and environmentalist Steve Irwin got stung by a stingray's barb and died almost instantly. With his big eyes and smile, he always reminded me of one of the sesame street character,Elmo. Not meaning to be insulting, but just the facial expression reminded me of a muppet character. I have to admit when I first knew of him, his accent used to drive me insane - and it still does but after being in the country for a couple of years, it's pretty bearable. However, in his programs and appearances in the Jay Leno show, one could always see his passion for the animals that he showed.

Being a diver, and reading of how a stingray can kill someone is pretty freaky. I've seen these creatures in the water, gliding majestically in the water, one wouldn't think that they are capable of killing anyone even though we know that their tail is poisonous.

Here's to Steve Irwin, and as how my friend DLKP so eloquently put it, we need to eat more sting rays now to avenge what they did to him....

No comments: